Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Badges of Honor and Reminders that Cannot be Removed


Scars are human imperfections that cannot be removed unless done professionally and painfully. Many even try to cover these natural pieces of art with tattoos. Some people are embarrassed or ashamed of their scars while others wear them with pride. Sadly, some people seem to forget that scars do not define who we are as a person, but characterize what we have experienced.

The best part about a scar is that it is a physical reminder of an event that happened in ones life. Thanks to that bit of flawed or marred skin, you will never forget a story.

I cannot say that all scar stories are great but they definitely serve a purpose. Scars are a conversation starter and sometimes a physical anecdote from a not so wonderful time in ones life or an act of stupidity.

Scars are unique and come in all shapes and sizes. Scars can result from any injury or incident and can sometimes surprise you. Personally, my body is covered in scars. Some are of sustenance and others are just from various accidents in my day to day life.

My favorite scar story that I have heard so far is that of Ron Minor. After a kidney transplant, the faint little incision line where one kidney was removed and one from his wife was inserted, serves as a reminder for him to value life as it is, one day at a time, and appreciate what he has. The scar will not completely disappear over time, but his advocacy for African Americans to check for Kidney disease will continue as long as the scar exists.

My scar stories are not exciting. The biggest one I have is on my forearm and happened while removing a hot bread pan from an oven. The scar that I am most proud of is the minute dash on my hand from slicing bagels. The freakiest scars I have are the identical vertical lines on the back of both my knees from careless shaving habits.

I want to hear the stories behind your scars. Scars are the aftermath of some event that happened in your life. Some may be important or life changing and others might be menial, but none the less valued. Post comments about your scars and pictures if you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment